Monday, March 19, 2012

Curses!

It just figures. Three months ago, when perusing the local antique mall for Viet Nam-era machines, pre-war Royal and Remington portables were thick on the ground.

But now that I am in the market for one, with aims to add it to my cadre before the planned Tri-CityType-in?

Bupkis. Comma. Total.

Sure, there were a few old-timey desk machines, but I'd never be able to sneak one o' those past the lady wife. Plus, with the writing machines and crafting supplies around these parts, I would be at a loss for a horizontal surface to place it on.

So, Typosphere, if you happen to know where a fella can lay hands on a pre-war portable machine (that you know, works) for relatively cheap and in a timely fashion, let a fella know.

7 comments:

notagain said...

Prewar? I very seldom see a portable that old. Good Luck! I will let you know if I do though.

Mike Speegle said...

Hmmm...well maybe I'm not thinkin' the right era. Primarily, I'm looking for a Remington 5, like.

notagain said...

In my goodwill I mainly see 50's and 60's portables. But I will keep watching. p.s. the tab on my browser says "Just Write Curses!"

notagain said...

this is where I got my 5, and there appears to be one in Eugene, OR.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9590526

Rob Bowker said...

I'll give you my Remington 5 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. It is a great machine and so closely related to the original Portable. Good luck.

Mike Speegle said...

Your life and your Remington are safe, if only because of your geographical remoteness.

Rob Bowker said...

Or... Touch control's worth having.